There are precious few musicals after the year 2000 that I have liked. Don’t know what that says about me, or about them. But, before that time, I loved me some musicals. My favorite of All Time is the 1994 Broadway version of Sunset Boulevard (I adore the 1950s film version with Gloria Swanson!) and I have worn that soundtrack out. I had no idea that Glenn Close could sing like that.
I really tried to pare down to my one favorite love song from a musical, but I just couldn’t. I couldn’t get past these five no matter how hard I tried. So. This is my entry for Bee‘s February 26 music prompt.
Please enjoy them. 🙂 🎵
• “Hopelessly Devoted To You” from Grease (1978 film) — Olivia Newton John. She certainly was, too. Until John Travolta finished the “hand jive” at the school dance with another chick. Haha. 😉
• “The Perfect Year” from Sunset Boulevard (on Broadway, 1994) — Glenn Close and Alan Campbell. Max loved Norma, Norma loved Joe, Joe loved Betty… but Joe was a struggling writer who needed money. So, Joe sealed his fate. *sigh* You get the drift. Love, tragic love!
• “Do You Love Me?” from Fiddler On The Roof (film) — Chaim Topol and Norma Crane. “It doesn’t change a thing… Even so… after 25 years… it’s nice to know.” I could see my salt-of-the-earth parents in this scene, saying those exact words, singing this exact song, teasing each other and laughing about it, bless their hearts, haha.
• “The Surrey With The Fringe on Top” from Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! — Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones. Yes, it’s a song about a horse-drawn rig, but Curly used that song and rig to seduce the skirt off of Laurey big time. Even Aunt Eller knew what he was doing. Ya feel me? 🙂
• “Spring, Spring, Spring” from MGM’s Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Yes, the song’s about a season, but we know what the brides and brothers are really singing about — all of that seeding and mating and loving in autumn coming to fruition in the form of new buds, new animals, and new babies. The circle of life — er, wait a minute… wrong show, LOL.
READ: The Bee Writes, Love Is In Da Blog 26 — My favorite love song from a musical
4 thoughts on “[prompt] Love Is In Da Blog 26: My favorite love song from a musical.”
Those were all great songs! That one with Glenn Close looks so good, and I’d never heard of it before. I like that gold outfit she was wearing! I liked the Fiddler on the Roof clip a lot, too. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Blimey, that’s quite a list but I know exactly what you mean. Glen Close in a musical? Didn’t know that one 🙋🐝
I know what you mean!
My best friend, shoving her CD in my hand: You’ve never heard of Sunset Boulevard? With Glenn Close?
Me: Glenn Close? Miss Fatal Attraction? You mean she can sing?
BF: Just listen to it. Keep it as long as you want.
She didn’t get her CD back for six months, after I’d bought my own, LOL.
LikeLiked by 1 person